Sunday, September 30, 2012

A New Thing: My Mission Story


So, how did I decide to go on a mission?

That, my friends, is a very good question.

But before we get into that, I'd like to explain a little bit of what a mission is to those who may not be of our faith. Often when we say "mission," people think I mean going to another country and doing humanitarian work while preaching the gospel, as many other Christian denominations do. In a matter of speaking, that is accurate. For 18 months I, along with the other young men and women assigned to my particular area, will teach other people about the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints and invite them to come to know Jesus Christ and implement His teachings in their lives.

Up until four months ago, I was NOT going to go on a mission. No sirree. I had a plan for my life, and a mission was not a part of it. I realized the value of going on a mission, and I really respected and admired those who chose to serve, but I never thought a mission would be something for me.

Why was that?


Okay, having a different plan was just part of the reason. The other part was that I was super FREAKED OUT. I mean, going on a mission would mean I would have to do a lot of things that were scary and uncomfortable, like (gasp!) talking to other people. As in strangers. As in people I didn't even know! About things that were really, really important to me!


That has always been a challenge for me, to say the least. I've gotten better over the years, but I tend to want to avoid conflict, and I hate feeling like I am imposing on people. You get the picture.

Anyway, back to the story.

I had my plan--finish my senior year at BYU, maybe go to grad school for Instructional Psychology and Technology, date, etc. I went to London on study abroad last spring (adventures documented here) and when I returned, I had a super heavy feeling, like something wasn't quite right in my life. I was afraid to ask God what it was, because I was afraid it might mean sacrificing something that was very dear to me, something I didn't think I could give up. And I avoided asking for a long time, because I was afraid of what the answer would be. It was finally when I went to the Lord and told him that I would be willing to submit to His will that it hit me like a ton of bricks:


I had to go on a mission.

Oh man.

Well, I wasn't expecting that. NO ONE was. Everyone knew of my plans and assumed that was how it would be. I seriously walked around in a state of shock for a good 24 hours. It's kind of disorienting to have the entire trajectory of the next two years of your life change overnight, ya know? But, as my parents have taught me, when God calls, we answer in faith, and I knew that if this was the right thing I had to go forward with it. Even if I had no idea how it would happen. Which I didn't. But I went forward anyway. I started the mission application process, and instead of going back to school I stayed home, got a full-time job, and started making preparations. I received my mission call on September 6, 2012 to the New York Rochester Mission. I leave December 12th for the Missionary Training Center in Provo, Utah, before heading out to New York.

Rochester, New York

Every so often I am a little amazed at how different my life is now from what I thought it would be at this point in time. Sacrificing my plans and what I wanted has been hard--so, so hard. I've had some pretty low days these past few months when the future seemed uncertain and dark. I've cried a lot of tears. But I've also learned to rely on the Savior more than ever before, and I have felt the power of His Atonement in my life sustain me from day to day. The Lord has confirmed to me over and over and over again that this is what He wants me to do at this point in my life, and that brings a great deal of peace.

I came across a scripture in Isaiah 43 that has become my mantra; it's where the title of this blog came from, in case you were wondering. This the Lord speaking, and He says,
18. Remember ye not the former things, neither consider the things of old. 
19. Behold, I will do a new thing; now it shall spring forth; shall ye not know it? I will even make a way in the wilderness, and rivers in the desert.  
This mission is the "new thing" for my life at this time, and I know that the Lord will be with me as I leave former things behind and start on this new path He has laid before me. He will make ways in my wilderness and rivers in my desert. He will provide a way for all the blessings he has promised me to be fulfilled. He will make the seemingly impossible things possible for me if I stand with Him and go forward in faith.


I know He will do the same for you too.


Images found here, here and here

No comments:

Post a Comment